A certified product owner plays an important role in product and service development in an Agile framework. Product owners are accountable for adding value to the product and increasing it through constant development, keeping in mind the customers’ requirements and the interest of their stakeholders.
A product owner, as well as a scrum master, establishes a connection between the development team and the user community to guide the product development process at the right path. Certified product owners are an integral part of a product development team and lead the process towards success. A certified scrum product owner certification or CSPO offered by the Scrum Alliance provides individuals with a formal and certified identity of a product owner and leads the way for better career opportunities.
Table of Contents
Why Get A CSPO Certification?
Every efficient agile team has a well-qualified product owner who makes critical decisions for product development. A CSPO certification helps individuals to become successful product owners by providing them with hands-on training, on-time delivery of high-value releases and information and increased ROI. This certification is a career-defining credential for those willing to become product owners in globally recognized companies.
The Demand For Product Owners
Due to the adoption of the agile framework in co-operates, there has been an increase in demand for product owners. With 90% of Scrum using teams, the requirement for certified scrum product owners has increased by a large percentage.
According to the scrum alliance, the importance of a product owner is as follows;
- 38% of the product owners are responsible for maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- 24% of the product owners set up business priorities and work closely with customers.
- 15% of the product owners work directly with scrum teams.
- The expected growth rate is 15% in the next 3 years.
- The average salary is $101k.
Individual Benefits Of CSPO Certification
- Determines product goals and heads the team members to deliver a high-value product.
- Helps carry out smooth communication between the team members and stakeholders.
- Allows adoption of Scrum methodologies and agile mindset.
Steps To Become A Certified Product Owner
- Find a training institute that is registered with the Scrum Alliance.
- Go through the Agile Manifesto and Scrum guide to understand basic Scrum concepts, terminology and methods.
- Join a 2-day CSPO course and receive instructions from the certified Scrum trainers.
- After finishing the course, the Scrum masters will update candidates about the details on the Scrum Alliance website.
- Candidates need to log in to their account followed by accepting a welcome email sent by the Scrum Alliance and accepting the CSPO licence.
- Log in through the provided link to reset the login credentials and accept the licence.
- Download the CSPO certificate.
What Will A Student Learn?
Through the product owner training, students will learn the following things.
- Product owner skills- It lets to understand the core concepts of Scrum, Scrum methods, Scrum flow, etc. It helps to enhance skills as a product owner.
- Lead agile teams- The course helps to comprehend the basic and advanced concepts of a product owner that builds confidence to lead the agile team.
- Facilitate communication- Through this course, an individual can develop the ability to facilitate smooth and transparent communication between the team and shareholders.
- Implement scrum functions- The course helps to learn how to implement Scrum functionalities such as sprints.
- Plan better- The training helps to form better plans to carry out assignments on time without compromising on the quality of work.
- Manage Risks- Students will learn how to manage risks through predictive planning during the training.
- Improve ROI- Individuals will get to know about different ways and methods to improve business values and steps to implement them.
- Fast delivery- The course teaches ways to improve product delivery within a limited budget and time.
- Scope of product owner roles- The certification course helps students to learn and understand the Scrum foundations and roles of a product owner in a Scrum team.
Pre-requisites for the certification
There are no prerequisites to get the Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO) training. However, having information about Scrum basics will help learners understand the role of a product owner at an enterprise level. Individuals having a Scrum Master certification can take up product owner training to get better job opportunities.
Who Should Attend CSPO Training?
People falling in the given categories can attend CSPO training.
- Project Managers
- Product owners
- Architect software developers
- Product managers
- Managers-software development
- Software testers
- Software developers
- Team members or team leaders interested in knowing Scrum practices.
The curriculum of CSPO is divided into eight modules.
1. Scrum Basics- It involves
- Understanding the fundamentals of Scrum flow, vocabulary and framework.
- Understanding the principles of empirical process control.
- Understanding the Scrum work culture.
2. Roles And Responsibilities- It Explains
- The scope of the Scrum master, product owner and the team in detail.
- The need for a product owner in the team.
3. Product Vision- It Involves
- Understanding the significance of product vision in galvanizing the Scrum team.
- Understanding the relationship between product roadmap and vision.
- Understanding the qualities of product vision and how to shape it.
4. Estimating- It Helps To Understand
- The various estimation levels in Scrum.
- The importance of accuracy in estimation over precision.
- That estimate of duration and size can be done separately.
- The effect of pressuring the team to offer low estimates.
- The difference between committing and estimating.
5. Product Backlog
It provides a deep insight to understand what a product backlog is and how it works. Plus, it helps in understanding product backlog grooming.
6. Prioritizing- The Module Helps To Understand
- The significance and advantages of prioritizing the product backlog.
- The inference of considering everything important.
- Who should make prioritization decisions?
- The way of applying formal approaches to prioritization.
7. Release Management
- It helps to acknowledge the goals and methods to release planning.
- It allows comprehending the need for frequent software releases.
- It highlights the role of a product owner in Scrum meetings.
- It helps to understand the concept of sustainable pace.
Trademark compliance is required for all certifications (we have provided the list of courses with trademarks); please ensure this is used
Do the certification names have trademarks?
When talking about KH, refer to it in third-person
Is KnowledgeHut mentioned in third person?
When quoting statistics of any kind, mention its source to
Are sources cited wherever statistics are included?
Ensure headings and content are related to the subject being discussed
Is there a clear flow of content across the blog?
Open the blog with an introduction
Is there an introductory paragraph?
Finish the blog with a closing paragraph
Is there a closing paragraph?
Keep main and all subheadings in title case
Are all headings in title case?
Ensure all sentences are grammatically correct
Are all the sentences grammatically correct?
Ensure that all information provided is accurate
Is all the information provided accurate?